Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

We understand the needs of foreign juveniles who come to the United States and want to gain immigration status here. Certain aliens under 21 declared court dependents may be eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile status (SIJS). Being declared a Special Immigrant Juvenile allows the alien to petition for permanent resident status as a special immigrant in the EB4 category.

To be accorded Special Immigrant Juvenile status, a juvenile court located in the United States must declare the alien a dependent of the court or legally place the child under the custody of a state agency, department, or individual appointed by the state or a juvenile court in the United States. The court must also find that the child cannot be reunited with one or both parents due to abuse, neglect, abandonment, or a similar basis found in state law. Furthermore, it must be determined in either administrative or judicial proceedings that it is not in the alien’s best interest to be returned to his or her previous country of nationality or last habitual residence.

We at The Law Office of Robert J. Maher, PC, are here to protect your immigration rights, and we want to help.

Give me your tired, your poor
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Poet Emma Lazarus, “The New Colossus,”
1883, inscribed beneath the Statue of Liberty in 1903

Initial Consultation

We can answer many of your immigration questions in an initial consultation either by phone or in person.

We will help you assess your situation, identify the immigration issues, and provide information you need to make an informed decision.